Leigha and the Triplets

Thursday, January 24, 2008


Just when you think things can't get worse, they can and will! On Tuesday, after finding out that Noah and Matthew had been hospitalized, I asked Nicole (nanny) if she was quitting. I described the boys as very healthy and they have not had any illnesses in a long time. WRONG! Do you know how you tell that someone is going to work out? That's easy, on their third day of work they show up sicker than ever instead of calling in. She is definitely a trooper! I came home from the hospital early so that she could get out of my house, something I am sure she had wanted to do since arriving there! She had to go to quick care to receive a ton of medications. Hope you feel better soon, Nicole!

Noe was running some last minute errands and then he had a meeting. This meant that the boys would be alone until he was able to get back to the house. I felt like the day I was released from the hospital after giving birth to them. It is such a horrible feeling to have to leave your babies at the hospital! My headache started as soon as the tears started to flow. What the heck was I going to do with two boys in the hospital and two more kids at home. Forget about work, how the heck would I be two places at once. I was pretty sure Nicole was going to be out of commission.

One of my wonderful friends offered to fly down to my house to take care of the kids at home or be there for the kids in the hospital. Most might think that is really nice, but it's more than that. This is a mom of six kids, some who still have medical issues. She talked it over with her husband and she determined that her husband could take his vacation days and she could be here by noon today. I was just floored that she would even consider that! I bet her husband was relieved when I let her know that it wouldn't be necessary!

Everything went so fast after that. In a matter of minutes I was able to book my mother on a plane that would arrive around 10:40 a.m. Thursday morning. I had to use 50,000 frequent flier miles and pay $110 to expedite the tickets, but it was DEFINITELY worth it!

Wednesday night was a rough night for Matthew, he was so over tired that he couldn't fall asleep. He just wanted to be in my arms, do you blame him? The only problem is that I have two boys in two different rooms. I would keep running and peeking in on Noah, who just smiled at me. I sat in the rocking chair and let Matthew fall asleep on my shoulder. Every time I tried to put him back in the crib, he woke up crying. Eventually, around midnight, he didn't wake up when I put him back in his crib. By that time Noah was awake again, but happy. I normally don't like to leave the hospital until they are both sleeping, but I told Noah that I was going to go get Daddy. He said Daddy with the biggest smile on his face. He could have cared less that I was leaving!

When I got home Noe was asleep on the couch. Noe and Leigha had a mini version of the ice cream party they had planned for his last night here. He started to pack when I left for the hospital and was now ready to go. I had to fill out some paperwork for him so I filled it out while he napped. When I was finished I woke him up to sign the papers and then off he went to the hospital to be with the boys and say his goodbyes. He was back at the house for a quick shower and then his friend picked him up at 7 a.m. Unfortunately, Noe and I never had a chance to spend any time together before he left. We have been trading off between the hospital and home. This was definitely not how I pictured our last few days together, but then again this is how it always happens!

I picked my mom up from the airport yesterday morning and then headed back to the hospital to see Matthew and Noah. Those were my intentions. However, Noah had different plans for me. He has been his normal angelic self, just like every other hospital stay, UNTIL NOW! It was his turn to be overtired. The difference, and man is this a BIG difference, is that Noah wouldn't let me sit down while holding him. Do you know how big he is? It proves that it's time that Mom needs to start lifting some weights! He would seriously FREAK OUT if I tried putting him down or tried sitting down, complete with hitting, throwing, and ripping out anything he could. Eventually he let me sit down and he fell asleep on my shoulder. I let him sleep that way for an hour, but then I had to go pick up Leigha from school. I tried to put him back in his crib, but just like Matthew, he woke up! A volunteer, who had played so nicely with him earlier, tried to hold him but he just fought that poor gentleman. I ended up having to call in to school to see if another teacher would run her home after school. I then continued to sit in that hideous rocking chair for another few hours, with a lead weight pulling down on my left side.

My pulminologist's partner came in and gave me his opinion that he didn't think that Noah's need for increased oxygen was due to his history of cysts. He did give me some good news, though. I brought Matthew home last night! Thankfully Noah was sleeping when I slipped out with Matthew.

As I pulled into the driveway, the first word out of Matthew's mouth was, "REMOTE!"

No offense to Grandma, but the remote was more important. This is not the face of the boy that I took home from the hospital. See what happens when Matthew is reunited with his beloved remote?

Now that Matthew has his remote and his buddy, Smokey, all is well with the world!

I did have to dig out all of my old oxygen equipment and hook Matthew up last night, as he dipped below the 88-89 mark last night. I knew it wouldn't stay in his nose, but at least it was there for awhile. Did I just rewind my life a year and a half?

*If there are any words or sentences that make no sense at all, I was doing this half asleep last night. I realized at one point I put words in that I was dreaming about and realized it was time to stop and call it a night. I will go back and actually read it later!


Kei said...

Phew! I was definitely catching your anxiety as I read this post and understand how completely frazzled you must be feeling! Thank goodness for your mom! And how absolutely sweet of your friend to offer to come & stay and help out if you had needed her to!
So glad Matthew is home and hopefully you will be bringing Noah home soon too!

Continued prayers & positive thoughts for you all!

Anonymous said...


I feel for you. I truely don't know how you do it.


Aunt Bobbie said...

nevada55Howdy, Matthew does look good and what a nice thing to see is that smile. I'm thinking of you all and looking forward to seeing Noah's big smile soon. Catherine take care of yourself and tell your Mother we are so glad she's there.

LOV and kisses to all. Aunt Bobbie Sydney, Ashley and Clint

Siuan said...

Wow, i don't know how you keep it together.You do an amazing job.