Leigha and the Triplets

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

April 2010

I have to say, this was my favorite trip yet!

In April, I flew to Salt Lake City to spend the weekend with some of my best friends. Oh, I also had to run 13.1 miles to get to see them! It was time for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. Originally I had wanted to make this my first full marathon, but my knees were dictating otherwise after my back-to-back Vegas and Phoenix races. I eventually gave in and followed my Physical Therapist's advice. I am so happy I did, that was my favorite race yet!

The morning after I arrived, I met up with a camera crew at Rubio's to be on their local news. I had nominated my friend Rachel for their Deliver a Dream contest. Rachel and her daughter Lucy were one of the three finalists.

That night was our traditional trip to Spoon Me with my wonderful friends. We came from Las Vegas, Michigan, and Minnesota, to hang with our SLC friends and have some delicious fro-yo!

Jana, Me, Ronai, Lauri, Suzanne, Tonya, and Rachel


The Salt Lake City Marathon (we did the half) was just absolutely amazing! I can't even begin to describe how wonderful this event/day turned out to be. Rachel and her family had a lot of publicity ahead of time, because they were all running together. It was their daughter Leah's first time running a half marathon and then they received special permission to push Lucy in the jogging stroller.

Most of our group separated into smaller groups or individuals during the run, but we heard the crowd cheering on "Team Coleman: Strong Enough!" I think that is why this event was so amazing. We all had bibs on the back of our shirts, to support the Coleman family. It was also the first race where I felt great during and after. I remember walking back to the car and jumping up on planter and back down, and they were pretty big ones. I was joking and saying, "I can jump up, I can jump down." That was a far cry from what we looked like after the Vegas Half Marathon!

It was definitely my best race! Not only did I make a new PR (personal record) but I smashed my goal time of under 2 hours. I finished in 1:55. The course was wonderful, well, until we turned on to State Street and looked UP ahead! I could have done without that hill at the end of the race.

Rachel and I after the race!



...and we were definitely strong enough!



Even Hopkins came to celebrate with us!


I enjoyed this race (and the entire weekend) so much that I went home and signed up to run the full marathon in Salt Lake City next year! BRING IT!

1 comment:

Leanna said...

I was there!! Although easily missed...lol...drove in just before the race, ran (a LOT slower than everyone else...so not in any pics ;D), and left the next morning. It was still great to see everyone again!