Leigha and the Triplets

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Torn

The boys haven't been the little devils they were last week, for the most part. Today has been a busy day here, and it's not letting up! Our morning started off with a surprise visit from Nevada Early Intervention. It was only a surprise because Noe failed to write it down in the planner. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but since I am the one home this week, I need to see it in writing!

Today was the first time I got to meet their new case worker. OMG she is so much better than our last one. It was the day to figure out where our kids stand. This is the part where I am torn. I think it's always been a given that Matthew will qualify for Early Childhood Development when he turns 3. Leigha is a "typical peer" for the afternoon class right now. She attended Kinder in morning and ECD in the afternoon. It's great, she goes to school with me and comes home with me. Since we are moving to a 9 month school year, next year, I would LOVE to have all three boys qualify. That way, when they turn 3, they can (hopefully) go with me in the morning, and then Noe can pick them up at lunch time. This will greatly reduce stress on him. He doesn't get to sleep until 2 a.m. or later and then has to be up at 8 a.m. with the boys!

Unfortunately, to qualify for this program they must be delayed 25% or more in two different areas. Sigh. I want all three boys to go to ECD, but I don't want them to be delayed. At this point only Matthew would qualify, based on today's results, but the lady said that their testing was more difficult. She thinks all three will qualify.

The irony was that she told us that Matthew would qualify for Respit care since he is behind in a bunch of categories. This would mean that a certified nurse would come over and watch all of the kids for a certain amount of hours a month. Wouldn't this have been nice to have when all three of them came home on oxygen, hooked to monitors, and weighed under 5 lbs? I placed an ad for a babysitter that first summer and I got the big fat ZERO responses. I guess the little bit about oxygen and reflux scared them away, I probably wouldn't have responded either but I don't think I have a choice in the matter! I will probably go ahead and get put on the waiting list to have him evaluated, but I hear it takes up to three months. I will give Noe the hours or, God forbid, maybe we can even go on a DATE! How does the whole date thing work, anyway?

Matthew also had PT (physical therapy) after lunch. He got to stay up later than his brothers. Oh, and Matthew has his speech therapy right after nap time. Someone once commented on how nice it was that we get home health care. Could you imagine trying to take 3 kids to speech therapy 3 times a week, physical therapy 2 times a week, etc? CRAZY! Now I think we will be adding in occupational therapy and a nutritionist soon.

I almost forgot some fun news yesterday! I decided that it's time for me to get back in shape so I used my Runabout stroller for the first time since I got our Choo Choo Wagon. I got the kids strapped in, dusted off my roller blades, and took the kids for a ride! Have I mentioned how out of shape I am? I used to ice skate for a living. By the time I got back I was exhausted and my face was red. Before I try that again, I am going to have to find out how fast my stroller can go without falling apart. It started clicking, which made me nervous!

One of our neighbor's was out with her kids. Leigha absolutely ADORES the little girl. I decided to let her stay outside and play. Therefore, I grabbed Matthew's scooter and let the other two loose in my FRONT yard. OMG...what was I thinking?! Matthew took off in one direction and the other two took off in the other (of course!) By the time I ran after Robert and Noah, Matthew got stuck in the rocks and started crying. Which way do I go? Do I go after the two who are already in the neighbors yard, who can run out into the street in a split second? Or do I run back to Matthew, who might tip over and clunk his head on the cement? My answer...run after Matthew, set him up right, go after the other two, and promptly put all three back in the house.

Leigha wasn't finished playing, so I let her play outside and chatted with the other mom. I have done this before, but not after those boys turned two! I went back in the house to check on them. I found out that all three of them (Matthew is NOT innocent this time) had opened my dishwasher and emptied the entire contents into my kitchen and living room (including the steak knife)! Needless to say, Leigha came inside after I finished replacing the items back in the dishwasher.

No comments: