Leigha and the Triplets

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Typical Family Vacation

A vacation is not complete until a minimum of one child gets sick. Well, we are on child #2. On Thursday afternoon Noah woke up with 103 degree fever. I am fully aware that he has another cyst, but sickness just aggravates it more. He is breathing faster, louder, and coughing more. Thursday night he was up around 2 a.m. with a higher fever again and coughing like crazy. I called our Dr. God, a.k.a. Dr. Nakamura. He calls back immediately and I ask permission to start our usual course of nebulizer treatments and oral steroids (never leave home without them).

Noah never had a fever on Friday. However, he was cranky off and on and definitely wanted to be held. His appetite didn't come back until dinner time. He received his night dosage of steroids and I gave him Tyelnol sore throat and cough medicine. He was doing great until about an hour ago. I can hear him coughing, but not enough to really wake himself up.

Around 2:45 a.m. Matthew started crying non-stop. I went in to see what was wrong and knew immediately that it was his turn. He had 102.7 degree fever. Matthew doesn't get sick like this often. Unlike Noah, he didn't stop crying even when I held him. I gave him Motrin and held a wet washcloth to his head and neck. He finally calmed down when I put The Laurie Berkner Band on. Laurie soothes him better than Mommy, I guess. His temperature came down to about 100 degrees, so I put him to bed after his movie.

So far so good. It's now 3:45 a.m. and I am just sitting here wondering who is next. Will it be Robert or Leigha? All three boys have been coughing a bit recently. We left on the trip with runny noses. I guess I should be thankful that we might be getting this over with now instead of on our 2200 mile car trip next week.

On a positive note, the boys are really doing a great job with their letters. I can't wait for Noe to hear them when we get home. Noah has the alphabet down pat. He can do it on his own now. I got a bit of a video of him tonight, but I will get a better one tomorrow when he is not eating. Matthew now has a few more letters down. He LOVES saying z. Whenever I say w, x, y, he says, z with the biggest smile on his face. I think that is his favorite letter right now. Leigha is a huge help. Whenever the boys get fussy in their stroller, she starts the alphabet off and they immediately forget what they were upset about. She is a great big sister!

No comments: