Leigha and the Triplets

Sunday, September 27, 2009

No More Excuses!

My boys are getting big! Sometimes it's hard having the boys attend a year-round school when I attend a nine-month school. However, it has it's advantages, too! When school was out for me, the boys still had another week of school left before they went on track break. I was finally able to put them on the bus myself!

I still can't believe how big they are getting! (Noah, Robert, and Matthew)


Noah


Robert


Noah and Robert


The best part of that morning was when I got to watch Matthew climb the stairs on the bus for the first time! At his annual IEP review, they talked about it in the future, but told me he wasn't ready for it yet. Matthew HATED his chair. He had to use it to get to his classroom. He would not talk to anyone from the moment he was strapped in, until the moment he was taken out of his chair. It was the strangest thing ever.

I don't use his walker outside of the school setting, I didn't even realize he was using it at school until our meeting. After our IEP I started really thinking about how strong he has become. I called his teacher and scheduled a review of his IEP over the phone. I asked for him to be able to get on the bus without his chair. His teacher seemed a bit hesitant, but said that she would talk with the OT. A few weeks later, Matthew's teacher called me and told me that Matthew had been working with the OT to get on and off the bus. She finally thought he was ready! I just wish I had been there to see his face the first day he didn't have to use his chair. His teacher emailed me and told me that she had tears in her eyes (not usual for her) when she saw how proud he was to climb on the bus with his brothers!



Not only could he get on and off the bus just like his brothers, he also could ride in a regular seat like them, too. His smile says it all!

3 comments:

The Hopeful Elephant said...

That makes me have tears in my eyes too! What a great accomplishment! YAY!!!!

Leanna said...

I guess we need to request a tissue warning from you too! I am so proud of him for working so hard to accomplish his goal!

Troop 220 said...

What a terrific accomplishment for Matthew. I love how they know they can do something before the professionals know. Keep up the good work Matthew! :)